Friday, April 27, 2012

It’s Friday. . . and I’ll take The Cure over Rebecca Black any century. I express this in excessive degrees of the passage of time because even if there is no afterlife my corpse will be rolling in its grave every time that song plays. Of course, I would take Rebecca Black over the current Republican government congress any day too. At least her inane creations don’t torment the children of America with pizza-vegetables just so some corporation can continue to make loads of money off of government contracts to supply the nation with overweight 8 year olds.

Really, vote your values, not your party. And spend some time figuring out what YOUR values are, not what Fox News and the Grand Ole Fuck-Ups tell you to believe. I have some real news for you: Fox News is legally allowed to partake in yellow journalism, thanks to the fact that they were recently ruled an entertainment station and thus can’t be held to the same standards. This comes as no surprise to me, as they clearly don’t have any. Moral decency would be a good start. Accurate, unbiased, objective news would be a good second. Firing Bill O’Reilly would be a third. Hmm. . . That may fall under one & two. That man is a sick, vehement, vicious fucktard. Yes, today is one of those days where I appreciate the irony.

While we are at it, let’s revisit our education and use all those useful tools that have been around since ancient Greece, the ones that show us where the fallacies in both our own argument and the arguments of others. I realize the babble box is doing most of our thinking for our these days, but I encourage everyone to do a little thinking for themselves.

Don’t get me wrong. I fully support differing beliefs. I am just of the opinion that in order to have an opinion worth bringing to the table you should have developed it on your own via an unbiased source of information. This means one must be educated enough to recognize what biased versus unbiased sources are. A good, well-rounded education means not having people who have never heard of the different fallacies, nor incapable of recognizing Michelangelo’s David when they see it, or, for the love of God, staring blankly when someone makes a joke that refers to Gregory Mendel. How about Copernicus, Galileo, Newton, Einstein. Know any of them? It means being aware that Michelangelo, Raphael, Leonardo, and Donatello weren’t just turtles.

You will have to forgive me if I don’t think Jersey Shore, So You Think You Can Dance, Real Housewives, Antique Road Show, Maury, Survivor, et fucking cetera are worth anyone’s time. Ok. Maybe you might learn something about history on Antique Road Show, but I couldn’t say for certain. . . I dislike listening to people talk about trite TV shows even more than I despise watching them. And I won’t even bother mentioning commercials, because I am already ranting enough as it is.

Another thing that has started bugging me recently. Just because I have little respect for Republican politics, doesn’t mean I’m a liberal. A man I know apparently thought it was necessary to point out that he is a “gun-waving politician.” As if I cared. I am not concerned with the status of the Second Amendment. It wouldn’t do me any harm if someone got rid of it. But most people I know own guns, including my dad, who owns more than most people I know. And he openly admits that he carries one on him because he’s more worried about people than dangerous animals. I even own a gun, technically. It’s just not in my house.

For all those people who are worried about the Second Amendment, which isn’t going anywhere, it amazes me how much it blinds people to all the other attempts to trample on your rights is going on. Corporations being recognized as people, CISPA and SOPA, LGBT rights, women’s rights.

People get so mad at Obama, as if he weren’t just the most visible person being held in contrast to a group of people, CONGRESS who are really out to fuck us all over. Do we know what a scapegoat is? How about sleight of hand? Because the Republican party and its supporters, like Fox News, are using one hand to point at the Big Bad Wolf while the other hand is jacking up your basic human rights and much of what else makes America great with other hand like a kleptomaniac in Scrooge McDuck’s mansion.

If you can’t tell, I live in the middle of territory controlled by the Religious Right. These things start to boil up inside after a while.

And a thousand words, goodnight
-m0rg4n

No comments:

Post a Comment