Thursday, February 7, 2013

Ramblings


Today has not been the most wonderful, though its events weren’t bad in the slightest. With one slight exception, I had it coming and expected it. This headache was my choice, both the reason I avoided giving up coffee and the reason I am doing so. The cold I woke up with this morning, with my throat swollen so much that I was wondering if I had laryngitis, well, that was a bit more of a surprise. The cold symptoms lessened as the day progressed, but the headache has slowly intensified. Even the Aleve I took is having difficulty holding it back.

The highlight of the day was playing Ping-Pong for an hour during my lunch break with my friend Ben. Last time we played I kicked his butt every game, this time around it was more challenging for both of us. It’s amazing how much exercise it is, we both worked up a sweat. My favorite forms of exercise continue to be the ones during which you barely notice that it is exercise because you’re too busy having fun doing it. Swing and ballroom are of course, my favorite forms, but Ping-Pong is a good time too. Going for walks with the dogs and good company are also fun.

Speaking of Mira, she’s starting to get to the smaller side of massive. She’s eight and a half months old, but I’m willing to bet she’s broken 90 pounds. I haven’t weighed her in a while. I can still pick her up, but not for very long. We’ll see how much longer that lasts. The best part though, is that she is getting more loving, adorable, and cuddly as she gets older. It’s always nice to come home and have a few minutes just saying hello. (I always crouch down to her level to greet her.) While she’s a lot more energetic and aloof as a puppy than I was expecting in a mastiff, she’s still very attentive, usually sure of where I am in the house and not afraid to let whatever she imagines is outside that it had better not come in. I really do think they’re the perfect dog for nerds. Which I have failed to explain in any way at all. Too bad. ;)

Work on the other hand has been exceptionally slow. If I’ve had half an hour’s worth since I got here, I would be surprised. I started rereading Court Ellyn’s Blood of the Falcon: Volume 1, which I read for the first time less than six months ago. That’s me though. I love re-reading good books and reliving the experience. I always read eagerly awaiting the parts that excited me the first time and enjoy them just as much as I did the first time. It doesn’t matter how long the book is or isn’t either. I’ve read Battlefield Earth seven times and A Horse and His Boy at least 15. It’s been a while since I’ve read The Chronicles. I should revisit them and see what they look like as the man I’ve become.

I continued to procrastinate on my writing today due to feeling under the weather. I didn’t really want to come in at all, but it’s hard to waste my PTO when I’m not deathly ill and I know I’m not going to be doing anything exciting in the first place. I continue to not particularly enjoy that part of being employed as I am. There are things in the work though that may change my position and had best result in more compensation. I’ve informed my boss of my needs, not in a threatening way, but straightforward and honestly. Valentine’s Day marks my 2nd anniversary working here and it’s time to move upward or onward.

With Valentine’s on my mind, I am excited. In spite of not having spent a single Valentine’s in a relationship since my Junior year of college, it remains my favorite holiday. What can I say? I am Duke Orsino from Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night. I am in love in love, just waiting for Viola.

In the last few years I have written a Valentine’s letter for the holiday. Last year I wrote to myself, because I needed to recognize myself and validate myself. The year before was a generic letter to the women I’ve loved in my life, whether that love was platonic, romantic, or filial. I’m not certain, but I’m thinking this year I will write to love. Or perhaps continue the theme that is so frequent in my songs, and write a Love Letter to No One. “Hurry up and get here.” -smiles- Either way, I have a lot to think about right now. My thoughts on monogamy that I shared with Rapscallion at her request may very well find themselves their own entry, and I think I will spend the next week exploring love as a topic in depth. Eros, Agape, Philia, and a slightly less Greek concept, Caritas. Stay tuned.

A word or three, give or take several hundred, goodnight.

-m0rg4n

No comments:

Post a Comment