Monday, August 22, 2011

Things I Don't Need


This post was inspired by Zen Habits, a blog I read as often as it's updated. Much of my journey into the exploration of positive psychology began there. I consistently find places where the two paths converge. I intend to write on the subject a little more when I'm ready, but it isn't time for that yet. 

Today's article was on the 5 principles of a profound workday, however, I think they're simply 5 principles for a profound life. The focus was on simplifying. Simplify your day, your space, your so on and so forth. Take your time. Do something worthwhile with your day. I'll share an excerpt, the section that resonated most for me:
4. Simplified. The principles for a profound workday might seem impractical to most people, because there just isn’t the time or space to implement them. The only way to create this type of workday is to simplify.
It’s the key to everything else. Subtract. Pare everything down to its essence.
What’s on your desk right now? What are the three items that actually need to be there? Remove everything else.
What’s on your schedule for today? What are the three tasks that would really make a difference in your life? Eliminate everything else that you possibly can.
What do you do every day? How many of those things can be eventually pared down?
How much do you do online? Could you do without it?
Simplify, and you’ll be able to find emptiness, solitude, silence, slowness, mindfulness.

"Subtract. Pare everything down to its essence." It's that line that really gets me. From there I look inward and I see in myself all the things I need to pare down to get to my essence. So I asked myself, "What are things I don't need in my life?" Here are my answers:

I don’t need depression.
I don’t need another human being to feel complete.
I don’t need a partner to be active.
I don’t need someone else to explore the world.
I don’t need to hold other people up to my expectations.
I don’t need to live through expectation.
I don’t need World of Warcraft.
I don’t need to feel like I’m not good enough.
I don’t need to feel like what I create is not good enough for others.
I don’t need days in which I create nothing.
I don’t need to be shy or bashful.
I don’t need boredom.
I don’t need “I don’t know how.”
I don’t need a lack of faith in myself.
I don’t need to think about where I should be, what I should be.
I do not need fear.

Take away depression, to make more room for contentment.
I must be all me to share myself fully.
Take away lethargy and lack of motivation, I can enjoy the things I enjoy with and for myself.
The world is a fascinating, exciting place. I can appreciate it alone or with someone.
Take away expectation, let things simply be.
Take away World of Warcraft. I barely enjoy it and I feel bound to it. Take away unnecessary responsibilities.
Take away insecurity. Self-doubt is poisonous.
Take away distrust. Listen to the voices of those who appreciate every thing I create.
Take away shyness, if the dance floor is the place I am most comfortable, let the world be the dance floor.
Take away boredom, let there be activity. There is always something to learn, something to do.
Take away “I don’t know how.” I know how to research, how to learn. Use that knowledge and don’t give up because it’s difficult to find motivation.
Take away self-judgment, the world is as it is and is what it is, and so am I.
I am here. The path led here. The only direction I can go is forward, with the current.
Take away fear, let it enter a chrysalis and emerge courage.


No comments:

Post a Comment